Watch: Woman speaking on a 'mobile phone' in 1938
The video, which is believed to have attracted over 3,42,000 views on YouTube, is shot more than 40 years before the first mobile phone was available in the market.
London: A video running viral on Youtube which reportedly shows a woman speaking on a wireless device in a 1938 film could be the proof of the world's first mobile phone. The short video clip, which is believed to have attracted over 342,000 views on YouTube, features a woman named Gertrude Jones. In the clip, she is speaking on a prewar prototype of a mobile phone which was developed by a communications factory in Leominster, Massachusetts.
The video titled 'Time Traveler in 1938 film', was first posted on the site a year ago and was widely reported on by various blogs on the Internet, the 'Daily Express' reported. However, a user called 'planetcheck' has come forward, claiming to have solved the mystery. "The lady you see is my great grandmother Gertrude Jones," Planetcheck said.
"She was 17 years old. I asked her about this video and she remembers it quite clearly. She says Dupont had a telephone communications section in the factory," Planetcheck said. "They were experimenting with wireless telephones. Gertrude and five other women were given these wireless phones to test out for a week. "
"Gertrude is talking to one of the scientists holding another wireless phone who is off to her right as she walks by," Planetcheck said. Although, there has been no independent verification on the claims, but if it turns out to be true then it means the video was shot more than 40 years before the first mobile phone was available in the market.
- Watch the five claims of Sharif at the 71st session of UNGA
- UK Police to Probe Pakistan-Born Actor's Anti-India Rant
- Debate Night: Clinton, Trump Set For High-Stakes Showdown
- Sushma Swaraj To Pakistan: Stop Dreaming About Kashmir
- Indus Water Treaty: Blood and Water Cannot Flow Together Says PM Modi
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ajit Doval, Jaishankar Attend Indus Waters Treaty Meet Chaired by PM Modi
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test