Joshna Chinappa Goes Down Fighting in Final of Hong Kong Meet
A file photo of India's squash player Joshna Chinappa. (Getty Images)
Hong Kong: India's top squash player Joshna Chinappa fell at the final hurdle after giving a close fight to top seed Joelle King of New Zealand in the PSA HKFC International squash tournament on Saturday.
The New Zealander won 11-9, 11-9, 9-11, 11-9.
After coming through two five-game encounters earlier, the third seed Indian still looked fresh for another battle.
Only once has Joshna beaten Joelle earlier in their eight meetings and that too seven years ago. Much has happened since. Joelle is 9th in the world, four rungs above Joshna but it proved a lively match with points going neck and neck. In fact the Indian had led 9-8 in the first game where Joelle came up with three winning drives.
The second too went on similar note with Joelle picking an early lead, Joshna equalising only to see the New Zealander come up with a touch of brilliance.
In the third game, Joshna earned two 'strokes' in the end stages and that sought of put a check on the rival. But the one game reverse did not unsettle Joelle who like in the earlier games, showed the superiority in the end stages with crisp volleys and drops to stop the Indian.
"That was really tough," said the champion at the end of the 45 minute tussle.
Recommended For You
- Virat Kohli Throws AB de Villiers Off the Pedestal
- West Bengal Tourism Ad Featuring SRK Is Winning the Internet With Its Sweetness
- Australian Open 2017: Paes-Hingis Ease Into Mixed Doubles Quarters
- Skoda Rapid Facelift Review: Big on Style and Presence
- Amazon Great Indian Sale Day 3: Deals on Moto X Force, Bose QuietComfort 25 And More