Joshna Chinappa Goes Down Fighting in Final of Hong Kong Meet
A file photo of India's squash player Joshna Chinappa. (Getty Images)
Hong Kong: India's top squash player Joshna Chinappa fell at the final hurdle after giving a close fight to top seed Joelle King of New Zealand in the PSA HKFC International squash tournament on Saturday.
The New Zealander won 11-9, 11-9, 9-11, 11-9.
After coming through two five-game encounters earlier, the third seed Indian still looked fresh for another battle.
Only once has Joshna beaten Joelle earlier in their eight meetings and that too seven years ago. Much has happened since. Joelle is 9th in the world, four rungs above Joshna but it proved a lively match with points going neck and neck. In fact the Indian had led 9-8 in the first game where Joelle came up with three winning drives.
The second too went on similar note with Joelle picking an early lead, Joshna equalising only to see the New Zealander come up with a touch of brilliance.
In the third game, Joshna earned two 'strokes' in the end stages and that sought of put a check on the rival. But the one game reverse did not unsettle Joelle who like in the earlier games, showed the superiority in the end stages with crisp volleys and drops to stop the Indian.
"That was really tough," said the champion at the end of the 45 minute tussle.
Recommended For You
- CHAMPIONS!Women's T20 Asia Cup: India beat Pakistan by 17 Runs to Clinch Title
- Hacking Twitter's SecurityTwitter Hack: 10 Important Steps to Keep Your Account Safe
- Legal TroubleBigg Boss 10: Omji Maharaj Out of the House, To Appear Before Delhi Court
- Can't MissJolly LLB 2 First Look: Akshay Kumar is a 'Jolly Good' Middle Class Man
- Snapped!Virat-Anushka Are All Smiles As They Head Back From Yuvraj-Hazel Wedding