Nico Rosberg Takes Pole in Baku As Lewis Hamilton Crashes Out
Nico Rosberg celebrates after securing the pole position for the European Grand Prix. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Baku: Nico Rosberg claimed pole position for the European Grand Prix after his teammate Lewis Hamilton crashed out of qualifying on Saturday.
Qualifying was red-flagged when Hamilton clipped his right front wheel on a wall at the exit of Turn 10 in the twisty section by the Baku fortress in the old town section of the street circuit. Hamilton qualified 10th.
Force India's Sergio Perez was second but will take a five-place grid penalty for changing his gearbox after also hitting a wall at the end of pre-qualifying practice and severely damaging the rear of the car.
Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo qualified third ahead of Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel and Kimi Raikkonen in fourth and fifth but all will move up a spot due to Perez's demotion.
Recommended For You
- OnePlus 5 vs OnePlus 3T vs OnePlus 3: What Difference to Expect?
- Bumrah Hits Out at Jaipur Police Ad Mocking Him
- Hockey World League: India Thrash Pakistan 6-1, to Face Canada in 5th-6th Playoff
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Jason Roy Dismissed in the Most Unusual Way Against Proteas