Schumacher Junior Wins Twice in One Day at Formula 4 Championships
File image of Mick Schumacher. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Mick Schumacher, the 17-year-old son of stricken Formula One legend Michael Schumacher, claimed two wins in one day on Saturday in the German Formula 4 championships.
Schumacher Jnr's success behind the wheel comes as his father, a seven-time world champion, continues his rehabilitation at home from head injuries suffered in a skiing accident in December 2013.
"The speed was there, the car was good, everything is okay," the teenager told broadcaster Sport1 at the Lausitzring, near Dresden.
After claiming victory in the early afternoon's first race despite a mass pile-up involving 11 cars on the first lap, Schumacher managed a second victory in the evening race.
In the drivers' championships, Schumacher's double means he has closed the gap to just 11 points behind the leader, 20-year-old Joey Mawson of Australia, who finished sixth and second in the day's two races.
Schumacher will be bidding for a hat-trick on Sunday in the final of the three races.
The German now has three wins in German F4 this season having picked up a victory on the opening weekend in April.
He has also racked up three victories from six races in Italian F4 this season, which runs parallel to the German championships, and is also second in their drivers' championship.
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 9: Luxury Budget Task BB Laundry Creates Havoc In The House
- UN Chief Condemns Terror Attack on Police Academy in Quetta
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 8: Celebrities Get Malik Status, Indiawale Fight Among Themselves
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Tata Sons Appoints Ralf Speth, N Chandrasekaran on Board
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle