Australia defeat Canada 3-0 to continue winning spree
Captain Mark Knowles (16th minute), Blake Govers (33rd) and Flynn Ogilvie (36th) scored for Australia, who did not press at their top pace to conserve energy for Saturday's final encounter. (Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Ipoh: World champions Australia completed their all-win sequence in the round-robin league competition of the 25th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament by posting a facile 3-0 victory over Canada on Friday.
Captain Mark Knowles (16th minute), Blake Govers (33rd) and Flynn Ogilvie (36th) scored for Australia, who did not press at their top pace to conserve energy for Saturday's final encounter.
Australia logged the tally of maximum 18 points from six outings, while Canada finished on five points and slipped behind Pakistan, who scored a 4-1 triumph over bottom-finishers Japan.
Pakistan's win boosted their points tally to six, but they still failed to make it to the top-four place in the league standings, thereby dashing their chances of claiming a medal.
Pakistan will take on Canada in the playoff for the fifth and sixth spots on Saturday.
After being held goalless in the first quarter, captain Knowles opened the account for Australia in the 16th minute with a penalty corner conversion and Govers doubled the lead by flicking on target three minutes into the second half.
Ogilvie's strike in open field play rounded off the Australian scoring by finding the mark from a crowded goalmouth melee.
Recommended For You
- D-DAY POSTPONEDSupreme Court Adjourns BCCI-Lodha Panel Verdict Till Friday
- POWER PACKEDLenovo K6 Power Review: A Complete Budget Android Phone Under Rs 10,000
- EXCLUSIVE PICTURESSourav Ganguly - Dada of Gully Cricket
- Can't wait!Koffee With Karan: The 100th Episode Featuring Salman Khan is Going to be 'Khantastic'
- Dead Rises AgainThe Mummy Trailer: Tom Cruise Starrer Reboot Rides High on Action