India Go Down 0-4 to Australia in Azlan Shah Cup Hockey Final
(Photo Credit: Getty Images)
Thomas Williams Craig and Matt Gohdes scored a goal each as Australia dashed India’s hopes to clinch their ninth Sultan Azlan Shah hockey title with a thumping 4-0 win in Ipoh, Malaysia, on Saturday.
Craig scored in 29th and 35th minutes, while Gohdes drew blood in 43rd and 58th minute as Kangaroos thrashed five-time champions India in an attacking display of their skills.
Indians defended well in the first quarter as no goal was scored, but Australia launched attacks from the second quarter and within no time they were dominating in the match.
Australia drew the first blood in 29th minute. Thomas Williams Craig scored the opening goal for Kangaroos who were runners-up last year.
Craig continued his onslaught as he scored the second goal for the team in 35th minute. Matt Gohdes dealt another blow on India in the 43rd minute when he tripled the lead for Australia. He scored his second and the team’s final goal just before the whistle.
Both teams changed their goalkeepers in the fourth quarter. For India, Harjot Singh came in but to no avail.
Recommended For You
- ArchrivalsIndia, Pakistan in Same Pool of Hockey World League Semi-final 2017
- BLOCKBUSTER CLASHEl Clasico: Barcelona Desperate to Break Real Madrid's Unbeaten Streak
- SnapshotVirat Kohli, Anushka Sharma Attend Yuvraj Singh's Wedding in Goa
- Puskas Award 2016Malaysia Player Beats Messi, Neymar to FIFA Shortlist
- QUITTING ON TOPList of Champions Who Suddenly Called it Quits