Lucknow to Host Junior Hockey World Cup in December
Picture for representation purpose only. (Getty Images)
Lucknow: The Capital city of Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow, will host the 2016 FIH Junior Men's Hockey World Cup, an official said here on Sunday.
The official said the venue for the event was decided after Hockey India President Narendra Batra met the UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, who accepted the national federation's invitation to host the tournament.
The FIH Junior World Cup will be held from December 8 to 18 and would be the first international hockey competition to be hosted in Lucknow.
The official said that Batra met Yadav at his official residence.
The Chief Minister said hockey is the national game and many masters of the game from the state like the legendary Major Dhyanchand, KD Singh Babu along with other men and women players have made their place in the national team.
Batra said the Junior World Cup was one of the most prestigious tournament and best 16 teams of the world would participate in it, including hosts India, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Egypt, England, Pakistan, Germany, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, New Zealand, South Africa and Spain.
The competition would be aired live in 100 countries of the world.
Recommended For You
- BCCI To Get In Excess of USD 400 Million From ICC, Terms It As Success
- Pak Cricket Fan Trolled For Comparing SRK's Popularity with Sarfraz Ahmed
- Exclusive: Read Excerpts From In the Name of God by Ravi Subramanian
- Shastri to BCCI: Won't Stand In Queue, Want Guarantee On Coach's Job
- Ahead of Tubelight Release, Know More About Salman Khan’s Biggest Hits