126753 stood trial for rape in 2011, 5724 were convicted
Women's rights activists have long demanded fast-track court processes and quick convictions in cases of rape.
New Delhi: Women's rights activists and judicial experts have long demanded fast-track court processes and quick convictions in cases of rape to tackle the problem. Their demand seems justified in the light of the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) data for the year 2011.
The total number of persons under arrest including those from previous year in 2011 were 37929 of whom, 2050 people or 5.4 per cent were released before trial. In all, 26436 persons were chargesheeted, a 69.7 per cent figure against the total number of arrests. About 9443 persons were still under investigation at the end of the year, i.e 24.9 per cent.
In the same year, the total number of persons under trial including those from previous year stood at 126753 but only 21489 trials were completed (a one-sixth conversion rate). In all, 5724 people were convicted which stood at 26.6 per cent when weighed against those who stood trial. The total number of pending cases stood at 104997, 82.8 per cent of those which went to trial.
This surely paints a bleak picture about our slow judicial processed and also indicts the police for shoddy investigation which is evident from the dismal conviction rate.
Fast track courts which can convene for daily hearings and exemplary punishment are urgently required to tackle both the mountain of pending cases and to get a grip on the rising number of instances of crime against women.
- UP Polls: Akhilesh Yadav's 'Vikas Rath Yatra' to Begin from November 3
- Shivpal Invites Nitish Kumar, Sharad Yadav to SP's 25th Anniversary Celebrations, Hints Alliance
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Shivpal Yadav Vacates Official Residence
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 10: Rohan, Indiawale Indulge In a Fight Over Luxury Budget Task
- Philippines' Rodrigo Duterte Wants US Troops Out in Two Years, Willing to Scrap Defence Pacts
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 9: Luxury Budget Task BB Laundry Creates Havoc In The House
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar