13/7 bomber who enrolled in gyms identified
The statements of Gawli gym instructors, manager and others have given the ATS a fair idea about Waqas.
Mumbai: One of the bomb planters wanted in connection with the 13/7 blasts case, who had enrolled himself at two gymnasiums including the one owned by the family of underworld don-turned-politician Arun Gawli, had mentioned his name as "Waqas" while joining the gyms, Maharashtra ATS said.
"It was Waqas who got admission in both Kumbharwada as well as Byculla gyms. After the blasts, Waqas moved around normally to avoid any suspicion. While joining Byculla gym (belonging to Gawli family), he did not produce his photograph but mentioned his name as Waqas in the register and gave the address of Habib building at Byculla, where he was staying on rent," an anti-terror squad official told PTI.
While announcing a breakthrough in the blast probe on Monday after arresting Naqi Ahmed and Nadeem Akhtar from the city, the ATS had withheld names of the two planters whom its chief Rakesh Maria referred to as wanted accused 'A' and 'B'.
However, the two planters have been identified as Waqas and Tabrez, sources said.
The statements of Gawli gym instructors, manager and others have given them a fair idea about Waqas, sources said, adding they have seized the gym register.
On Friday, Maria had said that one of the bomb planters had enrolled on August 10 last year for three months in Gulabpuran Gawli Medical and Fitness Centre belonging to Gawli family at Byculla.
"The bomb planter is the same person, who had joined a gym at Kumbharwada of south Mumbai as well," he had said. Waqas, a fitness freak, used to visit Gawli's gym regularly, sources said adding there were no CCTVs at the gym, otherwise it would have been very helpful.
A top operative of home-grown terror outfit Indian Mujahideen Yasin Bhatkal and the two planters had rented a third floor flat in Byculla's Habib building where they assembled explosives before triggering blasts at Dadar, Zaveri Bazaar and Opera House on July 13 last year which claimed 27 lives.
- China Urges India, Pakistan to Cool Down Situation
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- Allahabad HC Defers Hearing on Plea Challenging Narendra Modi's Election From Varanasi
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance