1984 anti-Sikh riots case: Court reserves judgement
District Jugde JR Aryan fixed the matter for April 16 for clarification, if any, from CBI or the six accused.
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Wednesday reserved its judgement in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case in which Congress leader Sajjan Kumar and five others are accused. District Jugde JR Aryan fixed the matter for April 16 for clarification, if any, from CBI or the six accused persons after they concluded the final arguments in the case.
"Judgement is reserved. To come up for clarification, if any, on April 16," the judge said. Concluding the final arguments, CBI prosecutor DP Singh said that the prosecution has limited itself to what each of the witnesses had seen at the time of the incident.
The witnesses have given honest versions of what they all had seen during the riots, he said, alleging that in all the complaints wherever Kumar's name had cropped up, it was "immediately eliminated" from the police records. During the arguments, Kumar's counsel IU Khan told the court that there were material contradictions in statements of the witnesses, including complainant Jagdish Kaur.
Khan said Kaur had not taken Kumar's name anywhere in any of her affidavits filed before various judicial commissions, constituted to probe the riots-related cases, till 2010. "When she (Kaur) appeared in the court in 2010 to record her statement, she gave us a shock by naming Sajjan Kumar for the first time and said something which was not there in the records," he argued.
Kumar is facing trial along with five others - Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal - for allegedly inciting a mob against the Sikh community in Delhi Cantonment area. The case relates to anti-Sikh riots that had broken out after the assassination of the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
During the arguments, senior advocate HS Phoolka, who is representing the riots victim in the case, said that the crime was committed in broad daylight and the victims have been waiting for justice from nearly 29 years. Complainant Kaur had lost her husband, a young son and three brothers during the 1984 riots.
The Delhi police had earlier probed the riots cases and the investigation was handed over to CBI in 2005. CBI had earlier told the court there was a conspiracy of "terrifying proportion" between Kumar and the police during the riots. The agency had said the police had kept its "eyes closed" to the widespread violence.
The case against Kumar was registered in 2005 on a recommendation by Justice GT Nanavati Commission. CBI had filed two charge sheets against him and the other accused in January 2010. The trial court had framed charges against Kumar and the five others under Sections 302 (murder), 395 (dacoity), 427 (mischief to cause damage to property), 153-A (promoting enmity between different communities) and other provisions of IPC.
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Jio MAMI 2016: Mira is an Opinionated Girl, Keeps Me Grounded: Shahid Kapoor
- Mosul Offensive Displaced 7,000 People: UN
- Iraqi Forces Encounter Stiff Resistance from ISIS in Mosul
- By Playing it Out in Public, Mulayam Has Cemented Akhilesh's Future
- Uri Attack: JuD Claims Responsibility For The Terror Assault, Pak Under Pressure
- US Asks Pakistan to Act Against Terror Groups Who Seek to Attack Neighbours
- Watch: From Friend-turned-foes to Friends Again, The Saga of Mulayam and Amar Singh