2 killed, 19 injured in shooting at Toronto party
Hundreds of young people were outdoors at the barbecue when gunfire broke out just before 11 pm on Monday.
Toronto: A teenage girl and a man in his early 20s were killed and 19 others, including a toddler, injured in an exchange of gunfire after an altercation broke out among some present at a large barbecue party in Toronto.
"This is the worst incident of gun violence anywhere in North America. It's very shocking. A lot of innocent people were injured tonight," Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said at the scene in Scarborough.
"Tonight's event is unprecedented. It's going to be shocking to everyone in Toronto, to everyone in Canada."
A teenage girl and a man believed to be in his early 20s, were pronounced dead at the scene, Blair said. Other victims suffered injuries from trampling.
A suspect was hospitalised and is in police custody, he said, adding police are still looking for other suspects.
Hundreds of young people were outdoors at the barbecue outside 193 Danzig St when gunfire broke out just before 11 pm on Monday, thestar.com reported.
Police say the 21 victims, one a toddler under 3, were rushed to emergency rooms across the city.
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Jayalalithaa 'Progressing Well', Says TN Governor After Hospital Visit
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Nearly 500 Dead, Food Running Out in Aleppo: UN Chief
- Police Targeting DMK Cadres Over Rumours About Jayalalithaa's Health: Stalin
- UNSC Fails to Adopt Rival Resolutions on Syria