2 killed, 19 injured in shooting at Toronto party
Hundreds of young people were outdoors at the barbecue when gunfire broke out just before 11 pm on Monday.
Toronto: A teenage girl and a man in his early 20s were killed and 19 others, including a toddler, injured in an exchange of gunfire after an altercation broke out among some present at a large barbecue party in Toronto.
"This is the worst incident of gun violence anywhere in North America. It's very shocking. A lot of innocent people were injured tonight," Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said at the scene in Scarborough.
"Tonight's event is unprecedented. It's going to be shocking to everyone in Toronto, to everyone in Canada."
A teenage girl and a man believed to be in his early 20s, were pronounced dead at the scene, Blair said. Other victims suffered injuries from trampling.
A suspect was hospitalised and is in police custody, he said, adding police are still looking for other suspects.
Hundreds of young people were outdoors at the barbecue outside 193 Danzig St when gunfire broke out just before 11 pm on Monday, thestar.com reported.
Police say the 21 victims, one a toddler under 3, were rushed to emergency rooms across the city.
- Prune the Grass Please, Indian Team Management Tells Eden Officials
- Lukewarm Response to Second India-NZ Test at Eden Gardens
- Amit Mishra Toils Hard in Optional Practice Session
- Need to Create Pressure for Longer Spells, Says NZ Coach Mike Hesson
- Indus Water Treaty: India Can't Unilaterally Separate Itself, Says Sharif
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Pakistan Capable of Meeting Any Threat: Nawaz Sharif
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti