2008 blasts: Sabarmati Jail in-charge summoned
The jail in-charge has been asked to explain non-production of the 11 accused in the Delhi blast cases.
New Delhi: A Delhi court has asked the officer in-charge of the Sabarmati Central Jail in Ahmedabad to appear before it to explain non-production of the 11 accused in 2008 serial blast cases here for framing of charges against them.
Additional Sessions Judge Santosh Snehi Mann issued the summons after the jail superintendent failed to produce the accused despite issuance of production warrants against them.
"The court is constrained to summon the officer in-charge of Sabarmati Central Jail, Ahmedabad to explain the non-production of the 11 accused before this court despite production warrants," the ASJ said.
The court directed the Deputy Commissioner of Police of Delhi Police's Special Cell to get the summons executed and put the matter for further hearing on April 6.
The court noted that there was no reason as to why the accused were not produced before it.
"Physical production of the 11 accused is required in this court only for the limited purpose i.e. to record their plea on charge and there is no reason why they should not be produced for this purpose by the Superintendent of Sabarmati Central Jail," the court said.
It said that the charges could not be framed in the case till date "due to non-production of the 11 accused person."
The court had earlier decided to frame charges against the accused for waging war against the state and killing people in the September 13, 2008, serial blasts which claimed 26 lives and left 135 others injured.
The court had discharged one of the accused, Salman, as no material evidence pointing to his involvement in the blasts was found.
The charges are to be framed against Mohd Shakeel, Mohd Saif, Zeeshan Ahmed, Zia-ur-Rehaman, Saquib Nisar, Mohd Sadique, Kayamuddin Kapadia, Mohd Hakim, Mohd Mansoor Ashgar Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar Sheikh, Asif Bashiruddin, Mohd Akbar Ismail Chaudhary and Shahzad Ahmed.
Five cases were registered in connection with the serial blasts at Gaffar Market in Karol Bagh, Barakhamba Road in Connaught Place, M-Block Market in Greater Kailash and recovery of a bomb near India Gate.
Of the 14 accused, five were arrested by the Delhi police following an encounter at Batla House here on September 19, 2008. Four others were apprehended by the Mumbai Police, three by the Uttar Pradesh Police and one each by the Hyderabad and Madhya Pradesh Police forces.
Two of those involved in the blasts, Atif Ameen, alleged leader of the Indian Mujahideen, and another suspect Mohd Sajid, were killed in the gun battle at Jamia Nagar in south Delhi.
Recommended For You
- Gionee M2017 First Look: Check Out the Rs 1.66 Lakh Gionee Phone
- Ranveer Singh Is Exactly Who He is Dressing As, Says His Stylist
- Veteran Pitch Curator Daljit Singh Under Scanner After Second ICC Poor Rating
- Shekhar Suman Takes a Dig at Kangana Ranaut, Twitteratis Shut Him up Perfectly
- Big Boy Rahkeem Cornwall Welcomes England to Caribbean Islands