2012 champ Serena Williams seeded No. 1 for US Open
Serena Williams will be seeded No. 1 at the US Open as she tries to do something she's never done: win a second consecutive title at Flushing Meadows.
New York: Serena Williams will be seeded No. 1 at the US Open as she tries to do something she's never done: win a second consecutive title at Flushing Meadows.
Williams is a four-time champion at the US Open, including in 2012. Only Chris Evert, with six, and Steffi Graf, with five, have won the tournament more times in the Open era, which began in 1968.
The US Tennis Association stuck to the WTA rankings on Tuesday in announcing the 32 seeded women, including Victoria Azarenka at No. 2, and Maria Sharapova at No. 3. Williams is one of three seeded Americans; No. 16 Sloane Stephens and No. 24 Jamie Hampton are the others.
Venus Williams, who won the US Open in 2000 and 2001, is the only unseeded past champion.
Recommended For You
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone