25 killed, 10 injured in Bihar road accident
Condoling the loss of lives, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has ordered an inquiry into the accident.
Aurangabad: Twenty-five people, including 11 children, were killed and 10 others injured when a speeding truck overturned and fell into a roadside ditch near Titai Bigha in Aurangabad district in the wee hours on Thursday. Sub Divisional Police Officer (SDPO) Praveen Kumar Parai said from the accident spot that the injured had told him the truck driver was drunk and that he along with his assistant fled from the spot.
About 35 people were on board and 25 of them were killed when the truck turned turtle. Ten others were injured and have been admitted to Sadar hospital. The truck, carrying 35 labourers, overturned on NH 139 before rolling into a roadside ditch, Superintendent of Police Daljeet Singh said.
The labourers, who had come to Aurangabad for harvesting crops, were returning to their native Lesiganj village in Daltonganj district bordering Jharkhand, Singh said. State Cooperative Minister Ramadhar Singh, who is a BJP MLA from Aurangabad, condoled the death and said the state government would provide Rs 50,000 each as compensation to the families of the deceased.
Meanwhile, Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered an inquiry into the accident. Condoling the loss of lives, Kumar ordered the district magistrate and superintendent of police to inquire under what circumstances people were being carried in a truck meant for freight, an official statement said in Patna.
He also instructed the state police chief Abhayanand to ensure that no person is ferried in a freight vehicle, which should be used exclusively for carrying goods. Those who violate the direction should be taken to task, Kumar said.
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali
- Diwali: Festival of Lights
- UP Police to Celebrate Diwali at Old Age Homes, Orphanages
- Shivaay Movie Review: Ajay Devgn Is In Every Frame and We Wish He Wasn't
- Celebrate Diwali With Pious And Not With Noise
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Movie Review: Soulfully Acted, It'll Strike a Chord With The Audience
- Hosting a Card Party This Diwali? 5 Easy Snack Ideas to Make Your Preparations Easier
- New Zealand Policemen Dance To Salman Khan's Hit Songs To Celebrate Diwali