26/11 Mumbai attacks: India to press for access to Headley's wife
India will make its demand during Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde's visit to the United States next week.
New Delhi: India is likely to press for access to Tahawwur Hussain Rana, and wife and two girlfriends of Mumbai attack terrorist David Headley during Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde's visit to the United States next week. Government sources said though India got access to Headley, who carried out a recce of the 26/11 targets for the Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba, the US has not given any opportunity to question Pakistani-Canadian Rana, Headley's US-based wife Shazia, his girlfriend Portia Peter and one more female friend.
Indian investigators believe that if they could quiz the three, many hidden information could come into light as Rana was a close associate of his Pakistani-American friend Headley, and Shazia and the two girlfriends were in regular touch with Headley before and after the Mumbai terror attack. The investigators believe that Rana, Shazia and others have a lot of information and their interrogations could throw more light on the conspiracy hatched to carry out the worst terror strike in India and role of those behind it.
"The Home Minister and his delegation is expected to raise the issue of access to Rana and others," a source said. 51-year-old Headley had pleaded guilty to 12 terrorism charges, including his involvement in the November 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai that claimed 166 lives. He had, however, entered into plea bargain with US authorities.
A court in the US had sentenced 52-year-old Rana to 14 years in jail followed by five years of supervised release. Rana was convicted for providing material support to LeT and for backing a "dastardly" plot to attack a Danish newspaper but not convicted for the Mumbai terror attack despite being a close associate of Headley.
- Clinton Campaign Ponders 'What If' Trump Doesn't Concede
- Facebook Employees Try to Remove Trump's Controversial Posts, Zuckerberg Calls it Inappropriate
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- DMK Will Not Let Minority Rights to be Snatched Through UCC: Stalin
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18