2G case: CBI questions prosecution team members
While the preliminary enquiry progresses, the CBI is zeroing in on other 2G accused, one of whom is Shahid Balwa.
New Delhi: CBI on February 14 started questioning of its prosecution team members to understand whether the corruption slur on its prosecutor in the 2G case is an "aberration" or some more individuals have also been allegedly compromised.
CBI sources said the statements of 'pairavi officers' and other team members are being recorded as part of its probe into the allegations that public prosecutor AK Singh was discussing prosecution strategies with one of the accused in 2G telecom scam.
They said the agency, which received a CD of purported conversation between Singh and Unitech Managing Director, Sanjay Chandra, an accused in the 2G spectrum allocation scam is evaluating damage, to its prosecution strategy.
The sources said agency is evaluating legal options to collect voice samples of Chandra to check the authenticity of the conversation between the duo. Once the samples are received, the agency would rope in Central Forensic Science Laboratory to analyse the contents of the CD, they said.
The suspected voice on the tape, said to have been recorded in September last year, is also even detailing a three-judge Supreme Court judgement which could be used as a reference in the legal strategy.
After the CD reached the agency, CBI removed Singh from the 2G case trial's prosecution team and registered a Preliminary Enquiry to verify these allegations. The court has been informed about the developments, the spokesperson said, adding another prosecutor has been appointed to the team to assist in the ongoing trial.
In its reaction, Unitech had rejected the allegations saying Chandra has never met the prosecutor in the 2G case outside the court or had any phone conversation with him.
- Indian, Afghan Spy Agencies Patronising Terror: Pakistan Tells US
- Windfall for Ace Lawyers As Tata-Mistry Courtroom Battle Set to Prolong
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Asian Champions Trophy 2016: India Beat Malaysia 2-1 to Seal Top Spot
- UP Polls: Akhilesh Yadav's 'Vikas Rath Yatra' to Begin from November 3
- Shivpal Invites Nitish Kumar, Sharad Yadav to SP's 25th Anniversary Celebrations, Hints Alliance
- Donald Trump Will Be Next US President, Predicts Election Wizard
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'