2G: Judge's remark on bail evokes reaction
A Delhi court trying the 2G case on Friday witnessed heated arguments between a defence counsel and the CBI.
New Delhi: A Delhi court trying the 2G case on Friday witnessed heated arguments between a defence counsel and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) over a media report relating to the judge's remark on bail granted to the accused.
During the cross-examination of Aseervatham Achary, an ex-aide of A Raja and a key CBI witness, who had on Thursday created a flutter by alleging that he was threatened by a man present in the court room, Special CBI Judge O P Saini said that bail pleas of many of the accused could have been rejected if the purported incident had occurred earlier.
"He (Achary) did not say anything earlier and had he said it then it would have been on record and many of them (accused) would not have got bail," the judge said.
Later, the defence counsel circulated copies of report about the same on a website and pleaded it should be mentioned in today's order that the said remark was not a part of court record as an accused, R K Chandolia's bail plea is listed for hearing in the Supreme Court.
The judge, however, said that "it is better to leave the matter here. You say so many things and it gets reported."
The defence counsel said the report gives a "wrong impression" to the whole nation that the judge is passing the remark in an open court and it might impact the bail plea.
On being asked by the court, Special Public Prosecutor U U Lalit said if the press report is not factually wrong then the question of raising apprehensions is not called for.
"There are two things. Whether such a remark came from the presiding officer (judge) of the court and if the remarks have not come up media should be hauled up as this is wrong reporting. But if the presiding officer has said so then what is the apprehension of the defence counsel.
"What is the apprehension or fear? Are they going to say that the media is going to influence the judicial mind?" Lalit said.
- Bomb Blast, Tribal Protests Keep Manipur CM Ibobi From Inaugurating Hospital
- Lendl Simmons Sacking Led to Windies Meltdown, Claims Kieron Pollard
- Pakistan to Stage 'Fly-In, Fly-Out' T20 Final in Lahore
- I'm the Only Top Actress Who Has Done B-grade Films: Kangana Ranaut
- Mulayam Singh Jealous of Akhilesh Yadav's Popularity: Ram Gopal Yadav
- Everything is Fine in Samajwadi Party, Says Shivpal Singh Yadav
- SP Meet Turns Into Open War of Words
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Live: Akhilesh Yadav to Reinstate Shivpal, 3 Ministers; Ram Gopal Yadav Attacks Mulayam