30 injured, 3200 houses destroyed as quake hits China
About 55,000 people in Eryuan were affected by the quake, said the Yunnan Provincial Civil Affairs Department.
Beijing: At least 30 people were injured and 3,200 houses damaged as a 5.5 magnitude earthquake on Sunday hit quake-prone southwest China. The quake hit Yunnan Province bordering Myanmar, leaving 30 people injured, state-run Xinhua news agency said.
The report said the quake left a trail of destruction, damaging over 3200 houses, 700 of which were collapsed. The quake hit Eryuan County, Dali Bai Autonomous Prefecture at 1.41 pm. The epicentre was in Xishan Township with a depth of nine-km.
About 55,000 people in Eryuan were affected by the quake, said the Yunnan Provincial Civil Affairs Department. A number of Chinese provinces, specially in the south western region have been experiencing moderate quakes in the recent weeks with tremors striking every week one part or the other sparking fears among the local people.
Yunnan Provincial Civil Affairs Department had dispatched 6,000 tents, cotton quilts and coats were being sent to the quake-hit area. Allocation of affected residents is underway. The China Earthquake Administration and the Yunnan Provincial government have initiated a grade-III emergency response. Some 34 aftershocks have been recorded after the quake.
- Excerpts From the Mistry Email Alleges That Ratan Tata was a Behind the Scenes Presence
- Cyrus Mistry's Explosive Email to Tata Board Hints He Was Made a 'Lame Duck'
- Full Text of Cyrus Mistry Interview that Tata Group Scrapped
- Trump Calls Attack on ISIS in Mosul a 'Disaster', Hillary Lashes Out
- Watch: Talking point With Zakka Jacob
- UP Polls: Akhilesh Yadav's 'Vikas Rath Yatra' to Begin from November 3
- Shivpal Invites Nitish Kumar, Sharad Yadav to SP's 25th Anniversary Celebrations, Hints Alliance
- Fadnavis 'Did not Discourage' Johar's 5 Crore 'Donation' to Army Fund