30 killed in Arunachal bridge collapse
The bridge at Seppa in West Kameng district collapsed when a group of about 70 people gathered on it.
Itanagar: At least 30 people, including children, were feared killed when a suspension bridge over the Kameng river collapsed late on Saturday in Arunachal Pradesh, a police official said.
West Kameng Superintendent of Police K Aya said the 100-metre wooden planks-and-rope bridge at Seppa in West Kameng district collapsed when a group of about 70 people gathered on it.
Twenty eight people were rescued, three bodies were recovered from the river and 30 people were still missing, the official said.
At the time of the incident, the local tribals were trying to catch a swarm of insects, which they relish, using nets and traps on the bridge, which connects Old Seppa and New Seppa.
Aya said the rescue operation was hampered due to darkness and the difficult terrain. The police have been joined by paramilitary personnel in the rescue efforts.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 8 in Black, Grey Colours Listed Ahead of Launch
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- New Audi A4 30 TFSI Review: It is Powerful and Environment Friendly
- SRK's Circus Returns To TV, Twitterati Can't Contain Their Excitement
- Federer wants Nadal as Laver Cup doubles partner