4 Indian-origin people among UK's top tax criminals
The rogues' gallery also includes six people of Pakistan origin and another person of Sri Lankan descent.
London: Eleven people of Asian-origin, including four of Indian descent, are among 32 persons figuring in the rogues' gallery of Britain's top tax criminals of 2012. Among the 11 people of Asian-origin, four persons of Indian descent are Davinder Singh Dhaliwal, Sandeep Singh Dosanjh, Navdeep Singh Gill and Ranjot Singh Chahal, according to a report in the Guardian.
The tax office posted pictures of 32 tax cheats - A rogues' gallery of Britain's top tax criminals of 2012, ranging from cigarette and alcohol smugglers to professionals who set up complex avoidance schemes for the rich, the daily said. This is the first time such a list has been published online by HM Revenue and Customs.
The 32 tax cheats were in 2012 sentenced to a total of 155 years and 10 months behind bars. They include four men jailed for a total of 21 years and three months for one of the biggest alcohol smuggling frauds uncovered in the UK, worth 50 million pounds a year.
Among the four is Davinder Singh Dhaliwal. In another case, a gang of three - Sandeep Singh Dosanjh, Navdeep Singh Gill and Ranjot Singh Chahal, set up a chain of bogus companies to trade fraudulently in EU emissions allowances - known as carbon credits and cheated the HMRC to the tune of 38 million pounds in VAT. Dosanjh received 15 years imprisonment, Gill 11 years and Chahal nine years.
Six people of Pakistani-origin figuring in the rogues' gallery are Mohammed Shabir Karim, Imran Bhatti and Kamran Bhatt. Another Asian involved was Murugasan Natarajan of Sri Lankan descent.
- Colombia, Marxist Rebels Sign Accord Ending 52-Year War
- Watch: MNS Asks Pakistani Artistes To Leave In 48 Hours or Face Consequences
- 'Let Loose the Yellow Butterflies', Say FARC Rebels Approving Peace Accord With Colombia
- Watch: Talking Point With Zakka Jacob
- Race to White House is Real, Not Reality TV: Hillary Clinton
- With 84 Million Viewers, Hillary-Trump Debate Smashes Record
- Watch: The News That Wasn't With Cyrus Broacha
- Trump Says Debate Microphone Was 'Defective'