43 per cent of US teens text while driving: Study
Survey results show that males are more likely to text while driving than females (46 per cent vs 40 per cent).
Washington: Forty-three per cent of US high school students admit to texting while driving - a "national epidemic" in the country - according to a new study.
More than four in 10 of high school students of driving age, who were surveyed in 2011, reported texting while driving at least once in the past 30 days, according to a study to be presented at the Pediatric Academic Societies (PAS) annual meeting in Washington.
"Texting while driving has become, in the words of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, a 'national epidemic'," said principal investigator Alexandra Bailin, a research assistant at Cohen Children's Medical Center of New York.
Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death among teenagers in the US, and using a phone while driving significantly increases the risk of accidents in this age group, AAP News, the official news magazine of The American Academy of Pediatrics, reported.
The specific act of texting while driving has been found to raise the risk of a crash by 23 times, leading many to conclude that texting while driving is more dangerous than driving while intoxicated.
"Although teens may be developmentally predisposed to engage in risk-taking behaviour, reducing the prevalence of texting while driving is an obvious and important way to ensure the health and safety of teen drivers, their passengers and the surrounding public," Bailin said.
Bailin and her colleagues analysed data from the 2011 Youth Risk Behaviour Survey of 7,833 high school students who were old enough to get a driver's license in their state.
Survey results showed that males were more likely to text while driving than females (46 per cent vs 40 per cent), and the prevalence of texting increased with age (52 per cent of those over 18 years vs 26 per cent of 15-year-olds).
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- News360: Upset with Sheila as Congress CM Face, Rita Bahuguna Joshi Joins BJP
- Meet the Man Who is Giving Music to Akhilesh's Campaign as Samajwadi Party Gets Lost in Surround Sound
- Akhilesh Will Be CM, Ready to Give it in Writing on Stamp Paper, Says an Emotional Shivpal
- Bihar Dy CM Tejaswi Gets 44,000 Marriage Proposals On WhatsApp
- Akhilesh Targeted By Stepmother, Black Magic Used: SP MLC
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18