5 lakh take holy dip at Gangasagar on Makar Sankranti
Gangasagar is the confluence of Ganga with Bay of Bengal.
Sagar Islands: Around 5 lakh pilgrims on Monday took a holy dip at Gangasagar, the confluence of Ganga with Bay of Bengal, on the occasion of Makar Sankranti. Calcutta High Court Chief Justice Arun Mishra along with relatives and West Bengal Industries Minister Partho Chatterjee and his family also took a holy dip as the auspicious hour approached after offering puja at the Kapil Muni Temple.
Official sources said Monday's turnout of over 5 lakh was the highest in the past two days. Though over 250 people were reported to be missing in the past three days, many of them were reunited, the sources said, adding this is an usual occurence at Gangasagar due to the heavy congregation every year.
Around 50 persons were arrested for alleged involvement in petty cases. Movement of devotees from Kakdwip to Gangasagar had stopped for about three hours last night after a barge hit a jetty at Lot No 8 ferry ghat damaging it. The damaged jetty had since been restored.
Recommended For You
- Claudio Ranieri Sacking Shows How Heartless Modern Day Football Is
- New KTM Duke 390, Duke 250, Duke 200 Launched; Prices Start at Rs 1.43 Lakh
- Kumble Defends Kohli & Co, Says It Was Just One Bad Day For India
- BKD: Varun- Alia Bring Back Desi Vibes in Aashiq Surrender Hua
- Rangoon Review: Kangana Shines in This War-Time Romance