DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
5 TN fishermen accuse SL Navy staff of beating them
Lankan naval personnel snapped nets, snatched their catch and beat them with pipes, the fishermen alleged.
Rameswaram: Five fishermen from this coastal town were allegedly beaten up by Sri Lankan naval personnel when they crossed the International Maritime
Boundary Line and netted fish near Katchativu islet early this morning, officials said.
Quoting fishermen who returned from the area, they said Lankan naval personnel snapped nets, snatched their catch, beat them with pipes and warned them not to venture near Katchathivu, an islet ceded by India to the neighbouring country in the 1970s.
Meanwhile, the Coastal Fishermen's Association charged traders with forming a cartel and quoting very low price for the catch. The Association said they were forced to sell the fish at prices quoted by the cartel and that the government was not taking effective steps to break their hold.
Recommended For You
- Sunny Deol Shares Son Karan Deol's Photo From His First Day at Shoot
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Sonam Kapoor's Recent Look At Cannes Is Giving Us Major Beach Envy
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Aaradhaya Steals the Thunder From Mom Aishwarya at Cannes 2017