5 TN fishermen accuse SL Navy staff of beating them
Lankan naval personnel snapped nets, snatched their catch and beat them with pipes, the fishermen alleged.
Rameswaram: Five fishermen from this coastal town were allegedly beaten up by Sri Lankan naval personnel when they crossed the International Maritime
Boundary Line and netted fish near Katchativu islet early this morning, officials said.
Quoting fishermen who returned from the area, they said Lankan naval personnel snapped nets, snatched their catch, beat them with pipes and warned them not to venture near Katchathivu, an islet ceded by India to the neighbouring country in the 1970s.
Meanwhile, the Coastal Fishermen's Association charged traders with forming a cartel and quoting very low price for the catch. The Association said they were forced to sell the fish at prices quoted by the cartel and that the government was not taking effective steps to break their hold.
Recommended For You
- I Had Warned BCCI Against Preparing a Dry Pitch: Pune Curator
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- Nokia 3310 Is Back And The Internet Can't Handle It