DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
61-year-old barefoot woman wins 3-km race at Baramati marathon
Latha Bhagwan Kare said she felt "a little awkward" at the starting line as the other participants were staring at her outfit.
Mumbai: Latha Bhagwan Kare, a 61-year-old grandmother, who works as a farm labourer, has won the 3-km race at Baramati marathon. Kare ran barefeet wearing a nauari (9 yard) saree. Kare is originally from Buldhana and migrated to Baramati for work.
According to a BBC report, an elated Kare said, "I used to go for morning walks daily, but I had never run. If I had even tried to run, people would have found it strange and they would have asked me uncomfortable questions."
She said she felt "a little awkward" at the starting line as the other participants were staring at her outfit. "However, when the race began and I started overtaking them one by one, I gained my energy."
Throughout the 3-km race, she kept telling herself she wanted to win - "And I did it." She says she'd like to take part in more races, but "only god knows whether I remain as strong then as I am today."
Baramati in western Maharashtra is the pocket borough of Maratha strongman and union agriculture minister Sharad Pawar.
Recommended For You
- Sunny Deol Shares Son Karan Deol's Photo From His First Day at Shoot
- Moto C, Moto C Plus Unveiled: Price, Specifications and More
- Batting At 4 Won't Affect CT Preparation: Rohit
- IPL 2017: Jos Buttler Does a Ranbir Kapoor to Celebrate Mumbai Indians Win
- Aaradhaya Steals the Thunder From Mom Aishwarya at Cannes 2017