7 killed in Assam poll violence
After ULFA, another militant group killed seven polling personnel and injured 10 others in Assam.
New Delhi: As Assam faced the carnage unleashed by ULFA, another militant group killed seven polling personnel and injured 10 others, including four policemen, during election to Karbi Anglong Autonomous Council in the state.
Official sources in Diphu in Assam said suspected Karbi Longri North Cachar Liberation Front (KNCLF) insurgents exploded an Improvised Explosive Device and fired on polling personnel when they were returning with ballot boxes after close of voting from remote Donghap under Howraghat police staton, killing seven on the spot and wounding six.
The dead were yet to be identified, the sources said. Among the injured were four police men and a home guard.
They have been shifted to Nagaon Civil hospital in neighbouring Nagaon district.
Another group of militants attacked the polling personnel with a grenade during voting at Nilip constituency polling station under Bokakhat police station in a booth-capturing attempt injuring four polling personnel.
Repoll has been ordered in the polling station, the sources said. Over 67 per cent voters cast their ballots to decide the fate of 169 contestants for 25 constituencies in the 26-member house.
Election for Duarbagori constituency was countermanded after the death of an Independent candidate.
- Diwali Gifts: Top Cars in India That Are Ideal for It
- PM Modi Likely to Spend Diwali on Indo-Tibetan Border with ITBP Jawans
- Govardhan Puja: An Important Part of the Celebrations of Diwali
- Diwali: Festival of Lights
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Review: Genuinely Moving Drama With Terrific Performances by its Leads
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil: Ranbir Kapoor-Anushka Sharma's Love-Hate Relationship On Set
- I Am Botoxed, so Are Most People in the Film Industry: Karan Johar
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Which One To Buy: Apple iPhone 7 Plus or Google Pixel XL