82-year-old acquitted of charge of raping domestic help
When the maid informed the wife of the accused, she slapped her due to which her left eye was damaged.
New Delhi: An 82-year-old man has been acquitted of the charge of raping his maid by a Delhi court, which said government should frame guidelines for regulating placement agencies supplying domestic help to curb instances of registration of such false cases.
Additional Sessions Judge Nivedita Anil Sharma acquitted Delhi resident Krishan Lal Chawla observing that it is a "living example" of placement agency's maid raising false rape and threat allegation against her old and ailing employer only to "achieve her selfish ends of extorting money over and above her salary".
"This court has been informed that there are no laws, policies or rules to regulate placement agencies which supply maids and servants for working in houses.
"Considering the crying need of the day, it is required that some regulatory law or policy is made by the government and police so that there can be check on the placement agencies and it is made compulsory that police verification of the maids and servants is done before they take up employment.
"In my considered view, it is time that we as a civil society stand up not to only protect, shelter and rehabilitate a victim of rape but also to protect and shelter an accused against whom false allegations of rape have been levelled," the judge said.
The court said copy of the order be sent to secretaries of Ministry of Law and Justice of the Centre and the Delhi Government, chairpersons of National Commission for Women and Delhi Commission for Women and Commissioner and additional commissioner(West) of Delhi Police for information purpose.
According to police, the 18-year-old maid, who was hired through a placement agency, was allegedly raped by the senior citizen several times in his house between August 2010 to July 2011 and she was threatened not to disclose it.
The police said when the maid informed the wife of the accused, she slapped her due to which her left eye got permanently damaged.
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif
- Adnan Sami Responds After Being Trolled For Supporting Surgical Strikes
- Pakistani Artistes Are Not Terrorists, They Have Visas, Says Salman Khan
- Cauvery Row: Siddaramaiah Calls All-Party Meet to Decide on SC's Order to Release Water
- PM Modi Holds Meeting Over Cauvery Water Sharing Dispute
- Not Playing Pakistani Journalist in Noor: Sonakshi Sinha
- It's High Time We Respond to Terrorism: John Abraham