A herbal cure for cervical cancer
Scientists claim to have isolated a natural compound to cure cervical cancer.
Kuala Lumpur: Scientists in Malaysia have claimed to have isolated a natural compound from a local plant which could prevent and treat the dreaded cervical cancer in women.
A team of researchers from Universiti Putra Malaysia has discovered a natural compound, isolated from a local herbal plant named "lempoyang" which it claims can prevent and treat cervical cancer.
Lempoyang is a flowering plant from the ginger family which is commonly found in Peninsular Malaysia. The compound is the first reported and documented
finding that substantiated the ability of a natural compound of local plant origin to eliminate cancer cells of the cervix.
It has safer anti-cancer properties as it specifically targets cancer cells and does not cause damage to normal cell tissues even at high dosages, unlike most synthetic anti-cancer drugs which are highly toxic, local media reports
BioMedical Sciences Department lecturer and research associate Dr Ahmad Bustamam Abdul, who led the team, said, own that this natural compound is able to inhibit the progression of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN) stage III in animal disease model studies."
The compound had similar efficacy to commercial anti-cancer drugs used frequently to treat cervical cancer but delivering lesser toxicity in normal human cells, he said.
"Our data also showed that laboratory rats could withstand high dosages of the compound without any damage to normal tissues," he said. The compound, which can be commercialised in the form of feminine douches and suppositories, does not have any known side effects, he said.
He said the commercialisation of the technology would definitely reduce the cost of importing therapeutic drugs and treating cervical cancer patients as the compound could be used as an adjuvant to current chemotherapy.
A patent has been filed in respect of the technology in the use of plant metabolite as an anti-cancer alternative. Cervical cancer is abnormal cell growth in the cervix which is primarily caused by the Human Papillomavirus (HPV).
- Samajwadi Party is United, No Rift Family: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Cyrus Mistry Says 'No Basis' to Speculation on Litigation, Tata Hints New Leadership Soon
- Mulayam Singh Jealous of Akhilesh Yadav's Popularity: Ram Gopal Yadav
- Everything is Fine in Samajwadi Party, Says Shivpal Singh Yadav
- Mosul Offensive Displaced 7,000 People: UN
- Iraqi Forces Encounter Stiff Resistance from ISIS in Mosul
- Bomb Blast, Tribal Protests Keep Manipur CM Ibobi From Inaugurating Hospital
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser