AAI hits out at government, calls derecognition illegal
AAI hit out at the government for derecognising the body, calling the decision "unconstitutional and arbitrary".
New Delhi: The Archery Association of India (AAI) on Friday hit out at the government for derecognizing the body, calling the decision "unconstitutional and arbitrary". Questioning the decision, AAI president Vijay Kumar Malhotra said Sports Ministry has no right to de-recognize the Association as "we have not violated any rule or law of the land and the decision is illegal".
He said he was surprised at the Governments argument that AAI has not adhered to the Sports Code.
"Sports code of the Government of India has no legal sanctity. It is not an Act, it is not part of the constitution and there has not even been a Gazette notification about this so-called code", he claimed.
Malhotra said the International Olympic Committee (IOC) has been repeatedly emphasizing that it is against the Sports Code and government intervention. He lashed out at the Sports Ministry for misleading the public by churning out false information. "Sports ministry says that Sports code is a virtual copy of the IOC charter which is factually incorrect"
"Today I received a letter from the IOC in which the world body has recoganized me as the Acting President of the IOA. They are fully aware of my age and my tenure as AAI president. If I had violated the IOC charter they would not have written this letter to me", he said.
Malhotra said the Sports Ministry kept on stressing that he had been head of the AAI for 40 years.
"But they conveniently ignore the fact that I have also been in politics for last 60 years, I have been member of Lok Sabha for four times, member of Rajya Sabha once, currently leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly, have been member of the then Delhi Metropolitan council several times. Even my opponents appreciate my contributions. They praise me for being getting elected repeatedly," he said.
- Donald Trump Digs in Heels, Says Will Accept Election Results if He Wins
- Bigg Boss 10, Day 3: Whose Side is Swami Om on? Sevaks or Maliks?
- Donald Trump is Vladimir Putin's Puppet: Hillary Clinton
- Dangal Trailer: Aamir Khan's Film Is All Set to Challenge Gender Stereotypes
- Pep Guardiola Won't Sacrifice Style Despite Barca Blunders
- Joe Hart Has No Regrets Over Torino Move
- FIFA WC Qualifiers: Neymar's Brazil Thrash Bolivia, Ecuador Stun Chile
- Pep Guardiola Defends Claudio Bravo After Manchester Derby Jitters