DON'T SHARE NUISANCE.
Devendra, who attacked Abu Salem, says he spoke to Chhota Shakeel
Devendra claimed that a mobile phone was facilitated into the jail by Manoj Lahmane, who is also in custody.
Mumbai: Devendra Baburao Jagtap, accused of firing at Abu Salem last week, told investigators on Thursday that he spoke to underworld don Dawood Ibrahim aide Chhota Shakeel twice from the Taloja Central Jail, Mumbai.
Jagtap claimed that a mobile phone was facilitated into the jail by Manoj Lahmane, who is also in custody. It was during a telephonic conversation with Shakeel in April that Jagtap agreed to shoot at Salem.
The Mumbai Crime Branch had arrested Manoj Lahmane, the man who allegedly smuggled the country-made pistol used in the attack and had handed him over to the Navi Mumbai Crime Branch. Reports had suggested that Manoj was acting on orders from the Dawood gang. The pistol was smuggled in on May 2 after which it was handed over to Devendra Jagtap for the attack.
Abu Salem, an accused in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, was attacked inside the Taloja Central Jail on June 27. According to police, Salem was attacked by an inmate, identified as Jagtap.
This was the second attack on Salem inside a jail after he was deported from Portugal in 2005. He had faced an attack at the Arthur Road Jail in 2010.
Recommended For You
- Sonam Kapoor Takes The Plunge In A Dreamy Gold Gown On Cannes Red Carpet
- Read Exclusive Excerpts From Sita: Warrior of Mithila by Author Amish
- Video - Remembering Nicky Hayden, the Nicest Man in Grand Prix Racing
- Pro Kabaddi League Auction: Nitin Tomar Becomes Highest Paid Player
- An Opportunity For Manchester United To Provide Healing Touch to Their City