Achuthanandan in trouble over son's appointment
The Kerala Assembly has found serious irregularities and nepotism in the appointment of his son to a key post when he was the CM.
Thiruvananthapuram: In a setback to CPI-M veteran VS Achuthanandan, a probe by a Joint Legislature Committee of the Kerala Assembly has found serious irregularities and nepotism in the appointment of his son to a key post when he was the chief minister.
The report of the panel, headed by Congress MLA VD Satheesan, was tabled in the state Assembly on Thursday amid protests by LDF members who wanted the opposition's dissenting note to be made part of the report.
Addressing a press meet after tabling the report, Satheesan said the appointment of Achuthanandan's son, VA Arun Kumar, as Director of ICT Academy under the state-run technical education agency IHRD, involved irregularities, procedural lapses and nepotism.
He said JLC was leaving the follow-up action on the matter to the government as the panel's task was that of a fact-finding mission.
The nine-member JLC, which included four LDF legislators, was set up in July last year following allegations that Achuthanandan as Chief Minister heading the previous LDF government, had bent rules to favour his son.
The charge was then raised in the Assembly by Congress MLA and state Youth Congress president PC Vishunath.
While refuting the allegation, Achuthanandan, who is Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly, dared the ruling Congress-led UDF to institute a probe by a House panel.
- Samajwadi Party Youth Wing Torches Effigy of Amar Singh
- News360: Can Patriarch MSY Solve Chacha-Bhatija Spat?
- Amar Singh Got Akhilesh Story Planted in Newspaper: Ashu Malik
- How Samajwadi Party Will Look Like if it Splits
- Iraqi Forces Encounter Stiff Resistance from ISIS in Mosul
- I'm a Gujarati at Heart, Says President Pranab Mukherjee
- Don't Use 'His Excellency' Tag For Me, Says TN Guv Rao
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official