Advertorial: How HelpAge India helps the elderly
HelpAge India voices the concerns of India's elderly and protects their rights.
HelpAge India voices the concerns of India's elderly and protects their rights; focusing on issues such as pensions, social inclusion, and health care, thereby enabling them to live with self-fulfillment and dignity. HelpAge believes that the elderly have a wealth of experience and knowledge waiting to be tapped.
Sixt-five year old Gouramma is a widow residing in Sheegehalli Village, Hoskote (Bangalore). She used to work as a farm labourer, and earned a mere sum of Rs. 14.50 per day for twelve hours of rigorous work.
Life became a struggle for Gouramma after she started losing her eyesight to cataract, and was forced to discontinue her work.
Imagine her delight when HelpAge India offered to fund her operation. Today, with her eyesight restored, she can happily go about her daily chores.
Cataract is a clouding of the eye's natural lens, which develops due to a variety of reasons, including long-term exposure to ultraviolet light, exposure to radiation, secondary effects of diseases such as diabetes, hypertension and advanced age, or trauma (possibly much earlier), but usually due to lack of sufficient protein. Over time, it may grow larger and cloud more of the lens, making it harder to see.
This affliction destroys the vision of thousands of elderly across the nation every year. A cataract operation costs merely Rs. 1,000 with an intraocular lens. For want of a simple operation, many are unable to see.
HelpAge India supports eye camps staffed with skilled doctors who willingly give their time and consultation, to help those elderly in need. HelpAge funded Gouramma's operation, to restore her vision.
In 2009-10, HelpAge enabled the restoration of vision for over 20,000 elderly, at no cost to them.
HelpAge provides elderly patients with: pre-operation tests, transportation from point of residence to hospital, food and shelter during the course of hospital stay, medicines for 1 month, cost of intraocular lens, post operative eye shield.
With the support of its patrons, HelpAge restores the sight of many more like Gouramma.
- Abhishek Kapoor Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Fun to Explore the Singer in Me, Says Shraddha Kapoor
- Abhishek Kapoor Was, Is And Will Always Remain a Friend: Farhan Akhtar
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- BJP Terms Family Feud in Samajwadi Party as 'Fixed Match'
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Shivpal Yadav Vacates Official Residence
- Samajwadi Party Feud: Akhilesh Briefs Governor on Political Crisis
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: Shivpal Expels Akhilesh's Aide Pawan Pandey From Party
From Our Network
- Punjab polls: As Kejriwal hobnobs with allies, Congress might just break its losing streak- FirstPost
- Diwali gift for commuters, DND flyway made toll free after Allahabad High Court order - Pradesh18
- Inspiring: Shahdol man, who lost both arms in an accident, drives auto-rickshaw to earn living - Pradesh18