Afghanistan: Explosions, shooting heard at US base
The Taliban said they carried out an attack on the compound and inflicted casualties.
Jalalabad: Two explosions and shooting were heard at a US base in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad on Sunday, a Reuters witness said. The Taliban said they carried out an attack on the compound and inflicted casualties. NATO officials were not immediately available for comment.
Security forces surrounded the area. "We can confirm there have been multiple explosions in the vicinity of the Jalalabad airfield. Currently, ISAF officials are on the scene gathering facts, and as more information becomes available, we will release it as appropriate," the US-led coalition said in a statement.
In February, a suicide car bomber killed nine people at the base at an airport, almost exclusively used by NATO and the US military. The United States and Afghan government are scrambling to improve security before most NATO combat troops withdraw at the end of 2014.
- Pakistan Selectors Name Unchanged Squad for 3rd Test Against West Indies
- India can Produce up to 492 nuclear Bombs, Claims Pakistan Think-tank
- Congress Hits Out at CM Fadnavis Over 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' Release, Calls Him 'Broker'
- PM Nawaz Sharif has Become Security Risk for Pakistan, Says Imran Khan
- Watch: From Friend-turned-foes to Friends Again, The Saga of Mulayam and Amar Singh
- News360: Will Focus on Poll Campaign, Akhilesh Yadav Tells CNN-News18
- Cyrus Mistry Ouster: Reasons not Provided in Board Meeting to Avoid Public Battle
- Akhilesh Yadav Downplays Samajwadi Party Feud, To Focus on Polls