Afghanistan: Explosions, shooting heard at US base
The Taliban said they carried out an attack on the compound and inflicted casualties.
Jalalabad: Two explosions and shooting were heard at a US base in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad on Sunday, a Reuters witness said. The Taliban said they carried out an attack on the compound and inflicted casualties. NATO officials were not immediately available for comment.
Security forces surrounded the area. "We can confirm there have been multiple explosions in the vicinity of the Jalalabad airfield. Currently, ISAF officials are on the scene gathering facts, and as more information becomes available, we will release it as appropriate," the US-led coalition said in a statement.
In February, a suicide car bomber killed nine people at the base at an airport, almost exclusively used by NATO and the US military. The United States and Afghan government are scrambling to improve security before most NATO combat troops withdraw at the end of 2014.
Recommended For You
- Nokia 6, 5, 3, and 3310 Launched at MWC 2017: All You Need to Know
- Priyanka Chopra Slays In This Oscars After Party Ensemble
- Sunny Pawar Is Winning Hollywood One Award Ceremony at a Time
- Koffee With Karan: Kapil Sharma's Episode Is Going to Be the Funniest One Ever
- OnePlus 5 to Launch in April: All You Need to Know of the Waterproof Phone