After Asaram's arrest, girl's family ends fast
The girl's father requested police to file charges against Asaram so that he is tried early.
Lucknow: The family of the girl who lodged a sexual assault complaint against Asaram Bapu Sunday broke their hunger strike after the spiritual guru's arrest.
The 72-year-old guru was arrested in Indore Saturday night after charges of sexual assault were levelled against him by the 16-year-old girl. Asaram was Sunday flown to Jodhpur under arrest.
The girl lodged a complaint at a police station in Delhi Aug 20, accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram in Jodhpur. Asaram has denied the charge, and his son has claimed the girl was "mentally unstable".
The girl's father and a few relatives, based in Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh, began their hunger strike Saturday morning, pressing for legal action against Asaram.
After ending the fast, the father Sunday thanked the media for focussing on the case, and said this put pressure on the Rajasthan government and police to arrest Asaram.
He requested police to file charges against Asaram so that he is tried early.
Asaram should be treated as a common criminal, and he should not be given bail, the father told reporters.
Meanwhile, police said they would provide protection to the girl's family after it received threats from Asaram's supporters.
Recommended For You
- Virender Sehwag Predicts 3-0 or 3-1 Series Win for India Over Australia
- MS Dhoni Travels By Train After 13 Years
- Range Rover Velar to be Unveiled on March 1, Will Sit between the Evoque and Sport Models
- Akshay Kumar's Jolly LLB 2 Crosses Rs 100 Crore-mark in India
- MINI Cooper D (5-Door) Review: A Classic That Encapsulates Modern Technology