After Asaram's arrest, girl's family ends fast
The girl's father requested police to file charges against Asaram so that he is tried early.
Lucknow: The family of the girl who lodged a sexual assault complaint against Asaram Bapu Sunday broke their hunger strike after the spiritual guru's arrest.
The 72-year-old guru was arrested in Indore Saturday night after charges of sexual assault were levelled against him by the 16-year-old girl. Asaram was Sunday flown to Jodhpur under arrest.
The girl lodged a complaint at a police station in Delhi Aug 20, accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram in Jodhpur. Asaram has denied the charge, and his son has claimed the girl was "mentally unstable".
The girl's father and a few relatives, based in Shahjahanpur in Uttar Pradesh, began their hunger strike Saturday morning, pressing for legal action against Asaram.
After ending the fast, the father Sunday thanked the media for focussing on the case, and said this put pressure on the Rajasthan government and police to arrest Asaram.
He requested police to file charges against Asaram so that he is tried early.
Asaram should be treated as a common criminal, and he should not be given bail, the father told reporters.
Meanwhile, police said they would provide protection to the girl's family after it received threats from Asaram's supporters.
- Jack Reacher: Never Go Back Review: Lacks Suspense, High-Adrenaline Thrills
- 'Jack Reacher: Never Go Back' Review: The Film is Dull and Predictable
- Police Targeting DMK Cadres Over Rumours About Jayalalithaa's Health: Stalin
- Cauvery Dispute: DMK Leaders M K Stalin, Kanimozhi Stage Protests, Detained
- Reliance Jio 4G Speeds Slow? Here's What You Need to Know About Daily FUP
- Bigg Boss 10: Antara Biswas Wants to Grab Salman Khan's Attention
- Airtel Offers 10GB of 4G Mobile Data at Rs 259
- Salman Khan Dropped as Thums Up Ambassador by Coca Cola
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18