Afzal Guru was calm during his final moments: Tihar official
'He was very peaceful and calm during the final moments. He looked very composed,' a top Tihar Jail official told PTI.
New Delhi: Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru, who was hanged this morning, walked to the gallows in a peaceful and composed frame of mind. "He was very peaceful and calm during the final moments. He looked very composed," a top Tihar Jail official told PTI.
The official said Guru's family was informed about the execution.
Home Secretary RK Singh confirmed this and said that Afzal's family had been informed through speed post and the J&K government was taken into confidence before his execution. "They (Tihar jail authorities) intimated the family through Speed Post, registered post and the DG (Director General of Jammu and Kashmir Police) has been told to check with the family whether they got it or not," Singh told reporters.
Singh said the J&K government has been taken into confidence before Guru's hanging early on Saturday. In the wake of Afzal Guru's hanging, the Jammu and Kashmir government is taking all necessary preventive measures to maintain peace there but the government is not apprehending any trouble in rest of the country.
"We are not having any apprehension anywhere in the country. In Jammu and Kashmir, the state government is taking steps. We are in touch with them," the Home Secretary said. Without giving details, Singh said security has been intensified in some areas.
- Erapalli Prasanna Consider R Ashwin Best Spinner in World
- Ashwin, Jadeja Star as India Thump New Zealand in Historic 500th Test
- R Ashwin Becomes Fastest Indian to 200 Test Wickets
- 1st Test: Vijay, Pujara Put India in Command Against NZ on Day 3
- SAARC Summit Could be Postponed If India Not Attending: Pakistan
- Force 2 Poster: John Abraham Returns as a Tough, Intense Cop
- Syrian, Russian Air Strikes Kill 25 Civilians in Syria, Says Human Rights Group
- UN Aid Convoy in Syria Hit by Airstrike; UN Outraged