Agni-IV missile test-fired off Odisha coast
The nuclear-capable missile has a strike range of about 4000 km and can withstand temperature of more than 3000 degree Celsius.
Balasore: India on Wednesday test-fired its nuclear-capable strategic missile Agni-IV with a strike range of about 4000 km from a test range off Odisha coast. It was test launched with the help of a mobile launcher from launch complex-4 of ITR at Wheeler Island, about 100 km from Balasore, at about 1145 hours, defence sources said.
A high performance on-board computer with distributed avionics architecture and high speed reliable communication bus and a full Digital Control System were used to control and guide the missile to the target.
"It is equipped with modern and compact avionics to provide high level of reliability," a DRDO official said. "The state-of-the-art Ring Laser Gyros based high accuracy INS (RINS) and Micro Navigation System (MINGS) complementing each other in redundant mode have been incorporated into the missile system in guidance mode," the sources said.
The sophisticated missile is lighter in weight and has two stages of solid propulsion. The payload, with a re-entry heat shield can withstand temperature of more than 3000 degree Celsius, a defence scientist said.
The missile, is undergoing developmental trials by country's premier Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
The last trial of the missile, carried out on November 15, 2011 from the same base was successful.
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha's take on 3rd US Presidential Debate between Trump and Hillary
- Donald Trump Says Will Not Approve AT&T-Time Warner Deal If Elected President
- Donald Trump Vows to Sue Sexual Misconduct Accusers
- Adult Film Star Jessica Drake Accuses Trump of Sexual Harassment
- Kabaddi World Cup 2016: Coach Dedicates Title Win to Uri Martyrs
- Ranji Trophy, Group C: J&k Take Lead Vs Andhra; Services Struggle Against Goa
- Arun Jaitley Calls on Private Sector to Invest, Cites Low Cost of Capital
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous