Agni-V launch as a major milestone: Antony
Defence Minister AK Antony described thae launch as an "immaculate success" and a "major milestone".
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Thursday described the maiden test flight of Inter Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) Agni-5 as an "immaculate success" and a "major milestone".
"The nation stands tall today. We have joined the elite club of nations (to possess the ICBM capability)," Antony told the DRDO Chief Dr V K Saraswat on phone after the test flight of the missile was declared successful on Thursday.
"The immaculate success of the Agni-5 is a major milestone in the country's missile research and development programme," he said.
The about 5,000 km range Agni-5 was launched from a test range at Wheeler Island off the coast of Odisha at 0807 hours and took 15 minutes to reach its target in Southern Indian Ocean.
The missile achieved all the mission parameters and has turned out to be a huge success, Defence Ministry officials said.
The launch was cancelled last night due to bad weather and a spate of heavy lightning in the test range.
Antony also spoke to the Agni-5 project director Dr Avinash Chander and congratulated his entire team for their hard work and dedication.
DRDO took four years to develop the missile.
In his conversation with Dr Saraswat and Dr Chander, Antony told them that the nation is proud of its defence scientists and recalled the contributions made by former DRDO chiefs, specially Dr M Natarajan, a brain behind success of various projects such as MBT Arjun and pioneering efforts in LCA Tejas and Pinaka MBRL projects.
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Journey of a Small-Town Boy With Big Dreams
- Harshvardhan Kapoor is Special Because He's my First Co-Star: Saiyami Kher
- Kareena Kapoor Rejected Saif Ali Khan's Marriage Proposal the First Time
- MS Dhoni: The Untold Story Review: Sushant Gives a Knockout Performance
- Pakistan Briefs P5 Over Unprovoked Firing by India on LoC
- Confident of his Safe Return: Brother of Soldier Who Strayed Across LoC
- Will Tell India What is Real Surgical Strike: Hafiz Saeed
- Pakistan Also Capable of Executing Surgical Strikes: Nawaz Sharif