Airtel launches emergency alert service for women
During an emergency, Airtel mobile customers can now send an alert thrice in 30 minutes with their geographic location to their closest 10 loved ones simultaneously with just a call.
Kolkata: Bharti Airtel which introduced an emergency alert service two months ago in New Delhi continued to sell the service in eastern region among female customers.
"Out of total customer base of around 19 million customer base in the states of West Bengal and Odisha, one-third would be female. We expect subscription for this service from about 10 per cent from female customer," Bharti Airtel (Kolkata & WB) COO Vir Inder Nath told reporters here
During an emergency, Airtel mobile customers can now send an alert thrice in 30 minutes with their geographic location to their closest 10 loved ones simultaneously with just a call, Nath said during demonstration of the service.
Airtel which aims to popularise the service nationwide to help people in distress situation pointing at recent atrocities on women, with a subscription of Rs 30 per month, fails to pinpoint the location of the affected person may be required during such situation.
The service will only give geographical position based on a cellular tower location which usually serves about 500 metres in radius and not exact location unless any form of communication is established with the caller.
Currently, the service cannot not interact with police helpline effectively till proper infrastructure is ready for the police department
However, police department had also expressed interest in such services, Airtel officials said.
Meanwhile, certain mobile handsets also offers emergency sms service to preset numbers irrespective of the telecom service it uses.
- Dear Zindagi: SRK Asks Alia Bhatt to Crack Better Jokes in the New Teaser
- Salman Khan's Recent Photo With Nephew Ahil is Just Too Heart-warming
- Pakistan Will Pay Heavy Price if it Attacks our Troops: BSF Official
- Aamir Wanted to Play Max in Josh but I Had SRK in Mind: Mansoor Khan
- Rajnath Singh Speaks to Odisha CM After Security Forces Killed 24 Maoists
- Andhra Pradesh Deputy CM Suffers Minor Injury After Elevator Cable Snaps
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 5