Aishwarya: Lot needs to be done on women's safety
The 39-year-old actress, also a mother of a one-year-old girl, says she's angry because very little action is taken
New Delhi: Former beauty queen and Bollywood actress Aishwarya Rai Bachchan feels strongly about safety of women in the country and says a lot needs to be done to make them feel secure.
The 39-year-old actress, also a mother of a one-year-old girl, says she is angry because a lot is being said but very little action is taken to rectify the situation. "I don't feel fear, rather there is a lot of anger and I don't hesitate to say this. Many of us are privileged to have a lot of assurance about our safety but most of the women in our country do not have that.
"A lot is being said but a lot more needs to be done about it. There should be definite laws for offenders. They should be punished immediately. That is when we will see the change in the society," says Aishwarya, who was in the capital today to attend the second edition of Zindagi Live Awards.
Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, cricketer Gautam Gambhir and Union minister Farooq Abdullah also attended the ceremony, which felicitated eight women who challenged social stigmas.
Dressed in a blue and gold anarkali suit, the 'Devdas' star said she is glad that people area now talking about the issue of women safety on public platforms after the horrendous Delhi rape incident that rocked the nation last December.
"Such incidents still happen though. It also happened the very next day of the Delhi gangrape. But I am glad that we are talking about it. The incident has brought about a lot of attention and awareness but the change needs to come
Aishwarya was last seen in Sanjay Leela Bhansali's "Guzaarish" in 2010.
- Indus Water Treaty: India Can't Unilaterally Separate Itself, Says Sharif
- Pakistan Capable of Meeting Any Threat: Nawaz Sharif
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- 'Silly' Sam Allardyce Says Error of Judgment Led to Shock Exit
- Xiaomi Mi 5S Might Get Snapdragon 821, 2K Display and 4GB RAM
- Not Approached for 'Comedy Nights Bachao': Hrithik Roshan
- Arjun Bijlani Injures Himself On 'Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa' Set
- Krushna Abhishek Wants Healthy Competition With Kapil Sharma