1-min read

Ajay Katara held on kidnapping charges, alleges frame-up


First published: October 3, 2008, 12:22 PM IST | Updated: October 3, 2008
facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp
Ajay Katara held on kidnapping charges, alleges frame-up
Ajay Katara is a key witness in the Nitish Katara murder case.

New Delhi: Ajay Katara key witness in the Nitish Katara murder case was arrested by Ghaziabad police on Friday.

Katara was arrested up after a woman, Manjula Yadav, filed a complaint, alleging that he had forcefully entered her home in Indira Nagar (Ghaziabad), misbehaved and tried to abduct her husband Dharmendra Yadav.

Police have registered a case of kidnapping and harassment against Katara and taken him to Indirapuram police station. Katara was later produced in a court which sent him to judicial custody for 14 days.

According to the complaint received from victim's wife Manjula, the incident took place around 1630 hrs IST on Thursday in their Sector 4 house when Ajay allegedly came to her house with four others -- two police security guards, a private body guard and driver.

Area SSP L Ravi Kumar said Indirapuram police have registered a criminal case against Ajay, his private guard and drive. They have been booked under legal provisions including those dealing with abduction for murder and unlawful entry.

The case against the three was registered under IPC section 364, 511, 452 and 352. The SSP said no action could be taken against the two police security guards who were provided to Ajay Katara in connection with the Nitish Katara case.

However, Katara said he is being framed by former Rajya Sabha member and BSP leader DP Yadav, who is a relative of Dharmendra Yadav.

He said he is being pressurised into withdrawing the suit he had filed against DP Yadav, who is he father of Vikas Yadav.

Vikas has been sentenced to life for the murder of Nitish.

"I am being pressurised into withdrawing the cases against Dharmendra and DP Yadav. That is why they have filed this case against me," Karata said

He had earlier registered a complaint against Dharmendra Yadav for attempt to murder in a Ghaziabad police station.

Nitish was murdered in the early hours of February 17, 2002 by Vikas and Vishal Yadav. Vishal is the cousin of Vikas. The duo killed Nitish as they did not approve of his relationship with their sister Bharti.

Vikas and Vishal took Nitish away from a marriage he was attending in Ghaziabad, smashed his head and then set his body on fire.

facebook Twitter google skype whatsapp