Akhilesh Yadav to present UP budget for 2013-2014 today
This would be the second budget of the Samajwadi Party government after coming to power in 2012 with full majority.
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav will present his second budget in the state Assembly on Tuesday amid allegation of non-spending of funds sanctioned during the previous budget.
The BSP, BJP and Congress are ready to corner the ruling party alleging that though the financial year is coming to a close the government has spent only around 50 per cent of the Rs 2 lakh crore sanctioned in 2012-13.
This would be the second budget of the Samajwadi Party government led by Akhilesh Yadav after coming to power last year with full majority. Yadav also has the Finance portfolio.
With the Lok Sabha elections slated for next year, this budget is also expected to be a populist one. In the last budget, there was a thrust on allocating funds for various people's welfare schemes promised in party's manifesto.
The Leader of Opposition in the Assembly and senior BSP leader Swami Prasad Maurya has alleged that though the financial year is coming to a close, no development work has taken place in the state even though the size of the budget was over Rs two lakh crores.
In reply to questions, Maurya said that government has spent only around 50 per cent of the Rs 2 lakh crore sanctioned in 2012-13 so far and only one month is left for the end of the financial year.
Non-spending of funds has derailed the development and welfare works, Maurya claimed adding that when the government is not capable of spending the funds then why they are taking the budget for next financial year.
Congress leader Pramod Tiwari said that with just a month of the present year remaining and massive funds remaining to be spent there was every possibility that it would either be misused or it would be syphoned off.
BJP spokesman Hriday Narain Dixit alleged that funds of several ongoing schemes have not yet been released and where it has been released it has not been properly used. Dixit asked the chief minister as to how the official machinery which could not utilise the funds would consume it fully in the remaining one month.
- Indo-Pak matches filled with emotions, Says Pakistan Hockey Coach Khawaja Junaid
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 2 in Abu Dhabi
- Pakistan Likely to Announce Name of New Army Chief in a Week
- Suspected Pakistani Spy Arrested in J&K's Samba District
- Centre Forms Three-member Committee to Keep Bird Flu in Check
- Islamic State Using Civilians as Human Shields Against Iraqi Troops: UN Official
- Islamic State Has Seized 550 Iraqi Families to Use as Human Shields, Says UN
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
From Our Network
- Rising MNS is bad news for Shiv Sena: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil agitation helped BJP to counter its bitter ally- FirstPost
- Ramdev pegs 200% growth for Patanjali this year; promises big ticket investment in Madhya Pradesh - Pradesh18
- CM Nitish Kumar wishes speedy recovery to injured Mamata Banerjee’s nephew - Pradesh18