Kudankulam: 14 arrested, Bhushan files plea in SC
14 protestors were arrested near the Kudankulam nuclear plant on Tuesday, a day after a farmer was killed in police firing.
Kudankulam: Situation remained tense at Kudankulum where 14 protesters were arrested on Tuesday for pelting stones at the police and indulging in unlawful activities. With this the total number of arrests has gone up to 51 since Monday.
Meanwhile, Prashant Bhushan has filed a petition in the Supreme Court to stop fuel loading at the plant.
The stand-off between anti-nuclear plant villagers and police continues and reports say the leader of the protest SP Udayakumar and a few others are likely to court arrest later in the day.
Anti-nuclear protesters continued with their relay fast at the epicentre of protests, condemning the action against anti-KNPP activists. Tens of thousands of protesters spent the night camping in open against the nuclear plant. They are opposing the loading of uranium at the reactor, which could take place on Tuesday.
The agitation had turned violent on Monday when one person was killed in police firing when protesters tried to attack a police station at Manapad in Tuticorin district.
The year-long agitation, confined to Indinthakarai and nearby villages, spilled over to neighbouring Tuticorin district and was intensified after authorities announced loading of uranium fuel in the plant.
Police had also resorted to lathicharge and firing of teargas shells yesterday as the seashore in Indinthakarai village turned into a battlefield with clashes between protesters and police.
Slamming the police action, PMANE had on Monday launched a 48-hour relay fast against it.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Akhilesh Yadav Sacks Shivpal Yadav, Four Other Ministers From Cabinet
- Pakistan vs West Indies Live Score: 2nd Test, Day 3 in Abu Dhabi
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about the 2-day BRICS Summit
- Deserve Another Shot at International Cricket, Says Saeed Ajmal
- BCCI Seeks Directives From Lodha Panel on Media Rights Tender
- Varun Gandhi Rejects Charges Against Him As False, Frivolous
- Pierce Brosnan Thought He Was Endorsing A Tooth Whitener, Twitter Had A Field Day
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor