Police spreading false info: Kudankulam activist
Situation remained tense at Kudankulam as 14 protestors were arrested on Tuesday for pelting stones at the police.
Kudankulam: Anti-nuclear activist SP Udayakumar has appealed to the protestors at the Kudankulam nuclear power plant to allow him and three others to surrender peacefully on Tuesday night in the presence of a national leader.
Addressing the protestors at the nuclear plant, Udayakumar accused the police of spreading false information about the protestors.
He said that the police was spreading false information that the protestors had taken policemen as hostage, adding, "They have been searching houses and destroying property with that excuse."
Meanwhile, the situation remained tense at Kudankulam as 14 protestors were arrested on Tuesday for pelting stones at the police and indulging in unlawful activities. With this the total number of arrests has gone up to 51 since Monday.
In another related development, Supreme Court lawyer Prashant Bhushan filed a petition in the Supreme Court to stop fuel loading at the plant.
This came even as the anti-nuclear protesters continued with their relay fast at the epicentre of protests, condemning the action against anti-KNPP activists. Tens of thousands of protesters spent Monday night camping in open against the nuclear plant.
The agitation had turned violent on Monday when one person was killed in police firing when protesters tried to attack a police station at Manapad in Tuticorin district.
The year-long agitation, confined to Indinthakarai and nearby villages, spilled over to neighbouring Tuticorin district and was intensified after authorities announced loading of uranium fuel in the plant.
Police had also resorted to lathicharge and firing of teargas shells yesterday as the seashore in Indinthakarai village turned into a battlefield with clashes between protesters and police.
Slamming the police action, PMANE had on Monday launched a 48-hour relay fast against it.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Parched Cast takes our Movie Quiz and It's Funny
- Parched Movie Review: Nuanced Performances, Heartfelt Storytelling Make It a Must Watch
- Shraddha Kapoor Wanted To Be a Part Of 'Rock On' 8 Years Ago
- Rock on 2's New Song Jaago Urges You to Live Life On Your Own Terms
- Kohli Has Strong Basics, is a Complete Batsman: Laxman
- NZ Captain Hit By Bug Ahead of India Test
- New Zealand Take Tips From Ganguly Ahead of 2nd Test
- Virat Kohli Plays Down his Personal Form
From Our Network
- RSS slapping cases because I fight for the poor: Rahul Gandhi in Guwahati court over temple row- FirstPost
- After surgical strikes, Mulayam Singh demands Narendra Modi take back Pakistan occupied Kashmir - Pradesh18
- Defamation case: Amid high drama, Court stays arrest warrant against Uma Bharti - Pradesh18