Rajesh Khanna, Sharmila Tagore to get Padma Awards
Rajesh Khanna and Jaspal Bhatti, who died in 2012, will receive the award posthumously.
New Delhi: Late actor Rajesh Khanna and late satirist Jaspal Bhatti are among Padma Bhushan recipients this year. Padma Bhushan, India's third highest civilian award, will also be given to actor Sharmila Tagore, boxing champion Mary Kom, cricketer Rahul Dravid. Rajesh Khanna and Jaspal Bhatti, who died in 2012, will receive the award posthumously.
Industrialist Adi Godrej will also receive the Padma Bhushan. Actress Sridevi, actor Nana Patekar and director Ramesh Sippy will receive the Padma Shree, the fourth highest civilian award. Fashion designer Ritu Kumar will receive Padma Shree.
Also receiving the Padma Shree are wrestler Yoheshwar Dutt, shooter Vijay Kumar and boxer Dingko Singh. Five prominent personalities from the northeast, including Manipur's Olympic medallist MC Mary Kom, were on Friday chosen for this year's Padma awards. Five-time world champion Mary Kom, who brought laurels to the country last year when she won a bronze medal in women's flyweight category boxing (51 kg) event, has been named for the Padma Bhushan.
Noted Assamese tea industrialist Hemendra Prasad Barooah and xatriya dance exponent Ghanakanta Bora Borbayan from the state have been selected for Padma Shree. Hilda Mit Lepcha, a folk musician from Sikkim, and Mizoram educationist J Malsawma have also been selected for the Padma Shree awards.
Padma Awards are one of India's highest civilian awards and are conferred in three categories - Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shree.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Apple Launch Event on October 27: What to Expect?
- 90% Apple Lightning-to-USB Cables Sold on Amazon, Groupon Are Fake
- Dear Zindagi Teaser is Out and We Can't Stop Smiling After Watching It
- Dear Zindagi First Look: Shah Rukh Khan, Alia Bhatt Will Drive Your Midweek Blues Away
- Watch: India @9 With Bhupendra Chaubey
- SP Old Guard Meet Akhilesh Yadav, Bid to Defuse 'Explosive' Situation
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: Mumbai 290/5 After Herwadkar Ton; Mukund Puts Tamil Nadu in Control
- Live: No End to Samajwadi Party Crisis, Old Guard Meet CM Akhilesh