'Vishwaroopam' taken off theatres across K'taka
Meanwhile, the Madras High Court is reviewing the movie on Sunday after it stayed the film's release.
Bangalore: Kamal Haasan's controversial film ;Vishwaroopam ' was on Saturday taken off theatres across Karnataka following a police advisory. Meanwhile, the Madras High Court is reviewing the movie on Sunday after it stayed the film's release. A judge of the High Court is watching the film and his verdict will be delivered on Monday. The movie's Hindi version, titled 'Vishwaroop', is set to hit the screens on February 1.
Meanwhile, Actor Ajith issued a statement saying that Indian democracy and secularism have been misunderstood and misconstrued for vote bank politics. Haasan has held a special screening of the film for the Muslim outfit leaders but failed to win their approval.
Calling the protest as 'cultural terrorism, he denied that any community had been denigrated in the film reportedly made with a budget of Rs 100 crore in Tamil, Telugu and Hindi. Barring Tamil Nadu, the film hit theatres elsewhere on Friday and is now being screened after initial hiccups in Karnataka and Kerala.
The film ran into trouble earlier after the tech-savvy Haasan decided to premier it on Direct-to-Home platform ahead of its theatre release. Meanwhile, PMK founder leader S Ramadoss on Sunday flayed the ban on the movie despite Censor Board's clearance and said it was against freedom of expression. "The state government has been indulging in acts against the freedom of expression. If there is a law and order situation, it is the responsibility of the government to handle it. It is not appropriate to ban a movie," Ramadoss said in a statement, demanding withdrawal fo the ban.
Veteran Tamil film director Bharatiraja said the ban did not affect only Haasan but the entire artiste community. Praising Haasan as a 'socially responsible' person, he said, "we do not know where to seek justice when a movie has been banned despite a Censor Board certificate".
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- Jayalalithaa Interacting, Progressing Gradually, Says Apollo Hospitals
- Ranji Trophy, Group A: UP Amass 524, Tamil Nadu 34/1 on Day 2
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- Nintendo Switch: Here's Why Twitterati is Relating The Game Console to Porn
- Nintendo Switch Home And Handheld Gaming Modular Console Released
- BCCI vs Lodha: SC Limits BCCI's Financial Powers, Asks Panel to Appoint Auditor
From Our Network
- AAP in new packaging: Is Swaraj India cloning old party by targeting Varun Gandhi?- FirstPost
- Senior SP leaders to mediate between Akhilesh Yadav and Mulayam Singh to resolve contentious issues - Pradesh18
- Did MLA Satyadev Katare die due to Assembly's 'bad vastu', asks Kailash Vijayvargiya - Pradesh18