MP forest officer suspended after Lokayukta raids
Basant Kumar Singh, has been suspended by the state government after raids unearthed more than Rs 70 crore in disproportionate assets.
Bhopal: Madhya Pradesh Chief Conservator of Forest and 1987 batch Indian Forest Service officer, Basant Kumar Singh, has been suspended by the state government after Lokayukta raids unearthed more than Rs 70 crore in disproportionate assets.
Singh's Bhopal residence was raided on Wednesday morning. The officer tried to flee with his some of his valuables and documents but was stopped by the Lokayukta team which recovered Rs 7 lakh in cash, a revolver, jewellery and some fixed deposit papers worth around Rs 50 lakh.
OP Sagoria, DSP Lokayukta Police, said, "Total assets worth Rs 50 crore have so far been unearthed. In his 25 years of service, he should have got around Rs 75 lakh salary. From where and how has he managed to amass such huge assets is questionable."
Among the properties owned by Singh and his immediate family include around 100 bighas of land in the state and 200 bighas of land in Jaunpur in Uttar Pradesh. The state government, has not decided on any action against the forest officer, yet. Forest Minister Sartaj Singh said, "The matter has just come. Now we will look into it and conduct a thorough enquiry."
Singh's residence at were raided at Kothi road in Ujjain and at Chunabhatti in Bhopal where documents related to assets worth over Rs 50 crore were found were raided, police said. The figure could go up once all the seized documents are studied thoroughly, they said.
Beside documents of properties worth crores, Rs 17 lakh cash, gold and silver jewellery worth Rs 14 lakh, receipts of fixed deposits for Rs 50 lakh and details of 12 bank accounts were found during the raid, they said.
(With additional inputs from PTI)
- OnePlus Diwali Dash Sale Live: Win OnePlus 3 at Re 1
- Madhur Bhandarkar Happy Over End of Protests Against ADHM
- No One Needs to Give Proof of Their Patriotism, Says CBFC Chief Pahlaj Nihalani
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Controversy: Shabana Azmi slams Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis
- Trump Takes Swipe at Adult Star Who Accused Him of Inappropriate Sexual Contact
- Quetta Terror Attack: 3 Terrorists Killed, Over 60 Dead
- Quetta Attack: Why Pak's 'Action Plan' on Terror Became 'Inaction Plan'
- Barack Obama Trolls Donald Trump Over 'Mean Tweet' on Late Night TV