Vijender Singh not cooperating in the drug bust probe: sources
The Punjab Police have decided to move court for permission to obtain hair and blood samples from Vijender Singh after the boxer refused to share samples.
Chandigarh: Olympic medallist Vijender Singh is not cooperating in the multi-crore drug bust probe, said Punjab Police sources. The police is likely to explore legal options to test for drugs after the boxer refused to give blood samples.
The Punjab Police have decided to move court for permission to obtain hair and blood samples from Vijender after the boxer refused to share samples on Monday, calling the police team which visited him ill-prepared.
However, sources refuted the assertion, saying they could not collect samples without Vijender's permission. The police has also claimed that Vijender has not cooperated with them in the probe in the Rs 130 crore drug haul.
Meanwhile, no evidence has been found indicating Vijender's involvement in the drug peddling racket busted recently. Vijender's partner Ram Singh, now in police custody, had admitted earlier that the two took drugs in the past.
The matter came to light when the police recovered nearly 30 kg of heroin, worth over Rs 130 crore from a house on the outskirts of Chandigarh. The house belonged to NRI Anup Singh Kahlon, who was soon arrested. During his interrogation, he said that boxers Ram Singh and Vijender Singh were amongst his clients. The car of Vijender's wife Archana was found by police near the NRI's house.
Haryana DGP SN Vashisht told reporters that they were in touch with their Punjab counterparts after the boxer's name cropped up in the case. Vijender's wife's car was found outside the Zikarpur flat where 30 kilograms of heroin was recovered.
So far, Punjab Police has nabbed six persons in connection with the drug haul and had got their remand till March 13. The six arrested persons are Canada-based Kahlon, his driver Kulwinder Singh Rockey, the driver's father Kuldeep Singh, the driver's brother-in-law Sandeep Singh, Manpreet Singh Gill alias Mani and Gabbar Singh.
- Indus Water Treaty: India Can't Unilaterally Separate Itself, Says Sharif
- Pakistan Capable of Meeting Any Threat: Nawaz Sharif
- Collapse of SAARC Summit Unfortunate, Says Mehbooba Mufti
- World Bank Commits to Fulfilling Obligations Under Indus Waters Treaty: Pakistan
- I Pray For Her Long And Healthy Life: PM Modi Wishes Lata Mangeshkar On 87th birthday
- Key Moments From Lata Mangeshkar's Life You May Have Missed
- Lata Mangeshkar Has A Special Message For Her Fans In Pakistan
- Lisa Haydon Just Announced Her Marriage to Boyfriend Dino Lalvani