Delhi rape: Accused to be produced in court on Monday
Manoj Kumar, a labourer in a garment factory in north-east Delhi, was arrested on Saturday.
New Delhi: The 22-year-old man, arrested for allegedly raping a five-year old girl, will not be produced before court on Sunday as police have time till Monday to do so. "The accused Manoj Kumar of Gandhi Nagar rape case will not be produced in the court today," Delhi Police spokesperson Rajan Bhagat said.
Kumar, a labourer in a garment factory in north-east Delhi, was arrested on Saturday by a team of Delhi Police and their Bihar counterpart from Muzafarpur district. A court in Bihar had given a 72-hour transit remand to Delhi Police to bring him to the capital.
The accused was flown to the capital on Saturday evening. In normal circumstances, a person should be produced before a court within 24 hours of the arrest. In this case, police have time till on Monday to produce him before a court as the transit remand ends on Monday. "Police can keep him in custody till tomorrow. They can question him and when produced in court, we can seek his remand. We will ask for his police custody tomorrow in the court," a senior police official said.
The five-year-old girl was brutally raped and assaulted allegedly by Kumar while being held captive and starved for two days in east Delhi's Gandhi Nagar. She also contracted infection from foreign objects inserted in her body.
With Additional Inputs from PTI
- Hillary Clinton's Win Would Result in Spread of ISIS: Donald Trump
- Trump Gains on Clinton, Poll Shows 'Rigged' Message Resonates
- Donald Trump Seeks to Bar Sexual Misconduct Claims from Trump University Trial
- Hillary Clinton, Trump Spending Furiously as Election Day Approaches
- Philippines President Duterte Does a U-turn, Says Won't Sever US Ties
- After Rita Bahuguna Joshi's Exit, More Congress Veterans Eye BJP
- Death of 15 Birds in Gwalior Zoo Rings Alarm Bells
- US Has Few Good Options for Response to Philippine President Duterte