Kolkata school principal arrested over student's death
Hundreds of parents ransacked the school, broke furniture and vandalised school records earlier today.
Kolkata: The principal of Christ Church School on Thursday was arrested over an 11-year-old student's death. Principal Helen Sarkar had agreed to resign but the parents demanded that she submit resignation on the school's letter head.
Hundreds of parents ransacked the school, broke furniture and vandalised school records earlier today. Parents had demanded the arrest of the principal for dereliction of duty.
The principal was earlier forced to apologise to the agitating parents and she assured that the school will conduct a thorough investigation and punish the guilty. The principal's assurance, however, failed to pacify the protesters to stop their agitation.
The parents demanded immediate identification of the senior students who allegedly bullied the victim, a student of class 5, last week and locked her up inside a toilet.
The class 5 student had been allegedly bullied by three class 8 students. The victim suffered mental trauma after being locked up inside school toilet by her seniors on Wednesday.
She was found inside the school toilet by a sweeper. She was then taken to a psychiatrist who administered her injection.
Her parents alleged that her condition deteriorated soon after she was administered the injection and she later died. The cause of her death is under investigation.
- PM Modi Understands Pain of Our People: Baloch leader
- Watch: Ground Reports From India-Pakistan Border
- Pakistan Still in Anaesthesia After Surgery: Manohar Parrikar
- Pakistan's Bermuda Triangle
- Cauvery Row: Karnataka Firm, Calls Legislature Session to Decide on SC Order
- Narrow Escape From Electric Shock For Rahul Gandhi in Agra
- ISL 2016 Kicks Off with a Star-Studded Opening Ceremony
- Cauvery Row: Opposition Asks Govt Not to Release Water to Tamil Nadu