2 policemen suspended after IM terrorist flees from Mumbai Police custody
Afzal Usmani managed to escape while he was being taken to a MCOCA court in Mumbai by a team of police officials on Friday.
Mumbai: Two policemen have been suspended on Friday evening after Indian Mujahideen terrorist Afzal Usmani escaped from Mumbai Police's custody earlier on the day.
Usmani managed to escape while he was being taken to a Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) court in Mumbai by a team of police officials on Friday. He is a suspect in the 2008 Ahmedabad and Surat blast cases. A arrest warrant has been issued against him.
He was brought to the sessions court from Taloja jail. He was taken to the fifth floor of the sessions court for case where the framing of arguments on framing charges was about to start at 2:45 pm when he escaped.
He reportedly ran and escaped from a corridor outside court. There are usually at least 10 policemen in that corridor most of the time. Three months ago he was shifted to a jail in Mumbai from Sabarmati Jail in Gujarat.
Meanwhile, Mumbai Police has said that they are looking into the matter and would ensure his arrest.
Usmani, a car thief, was one of the first arrested during the investigation of the Indian Mujahideen emails. He stole cars and delivered them to Ahmedabad and Surat to be allegedly used in the blasts. He was arrested from Uttar Pradesh.
Recommended For You
- Moto 3rd Anniversary Sale on Flipkart: Huge Discounts on Moto Z, Moto M and More
- Man Purposely Damages Tesla Model S to Save a Life, Gets Compensation
- Shahid Kapoor's Pre-Birthday Bash: Deepika, Alia, Katrina steal the show
- Relationships Are Difficult: Kajol on Her Tiff With Karan Johar
- IPL 2017: Mitchell Starc Ends Association With Virat Kohli and Co.