2G: Kanimozhi's bail hearing in Delhi HC today
The DMK MP has been lodged in Tihar Jail since May 20 and the trial court had recently denied bail to her.
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court will hear DMK MP and an accused in the 2G spectrum scam Kanimozhi's bail plea on Wednesday.
The CBI on Wednesday again said that they do not oppose Kanimozhi's bail. CBI's lawyer said, "We reiterate our stand as before trial court. There is no deviation in our stand."
Kanimozhi's lawyers had moved the High court after a special CBI court dismissed her petition and that of seven others accused in the 2G scam.
Kanimozhi has sought bail on grounds of being a woman and a mother. This is the second time she's moving the Delhi High Court. It had rejected her bail application earlier in June citing her political clout.
Citing 5 reasons why the DMK MP and others did not deserve bail, the court said - possibility of accused tampering with evidence, providing a safe and secure environment for witnesses to testify truthfully which is possible only by keeping accused in custody, no discrimination faced by Kanimozhi as a woman hence bail on gender grounds not possible, case against accused stronger after framing of charges which charged them with criminal breach of public trust leading to a life term if found guilty and seriousness of the economic offence which was planned by accused to use public money for personal benefit.
Kanimozhi has been lodged in Tihar Jail since May 20 and the trial court had recently denied bail to her, despite the CBI not opposing her bail plea.
Kanimozhi's last statement before she was sent to judicial custody in the 2G scam on the May 20, 2011 was "I am not a soft target"
Since then her focus has been getting bail but the courts did not entertain her bail plea till charges were framed. That meant that she had to spend the last five months including a Diwali in prison.
- Samajwadi Party Family Feud: Timeline of Happenings in Uttar Pradesh Pari-war
- CM's Prerogative, Says Congress on Sacking of 4 UP Ministers
- Who Stands With Whom in Samajwadi Party Pariwar
- How Shivpal's Removal From Cabinet by Akhilesh Shocked the Mulayam Camp
- Jio MAMI 2016: When Aishwarya Rai Made Newcomer Anushka Sharma Feel at Home
- Jio MAMI 2016: Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Will Be Like a Therapy for Unrequited Love, Says Karan Johar
- TWTW: Cyrus Broacha talks about Anurag Khashyap's tweet over ADHM
- Watch: Karan Johar Reveals His Funniest Moments On Koffee With Karan